About Me

My photo
A Catholic stay-at-home wife and mother who is learning to value the beauty of homemaking by preparing meals from scratch with real food according to traditional principles, sewing/altering her own clothes, DIY decor projects, and reading books in her spare time, but most of all trying to be the virtuous woman from Proverbs 31.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Delighting the Senses

Since my decision to not buy processed foods, I've been getting creative in order to still enjoy some old favorite sweets, such as ice cream and peanut butter cups. There are plenty of great recipes out there that do not involve refined sugar and other nasties. One that I found very refreshing on a hot day was this recipe [http://www.foodrenegade.com/no-churn-ice-cream-honey-cinnamon/] for honey cinnamon ice cream. It is 'no churn' but since I have an ice cream maker attachment, I used it. It is simple and the subtle flavor of cinnamon sweetened with honey is so pure and light.

Here's a photo of the delectable treat just before I devour it:

And the neat thing about this ice cream is that it is not so rock hard after it freezes probably because of the honey (but supposedly if you do not add honey you can add vodka to make it not so rock hard).

Then I found this great recipe for almond butter cups: http://www.savorylotus.com/2013/05/17/salty-sweet-almond-butter-cups/#more-1439. These are amazing! My husband, who loves processed sweets and is usually wary of the healthful sweet concoctions I cook up, was eager for another one of these, so they must be tasty! I used my new silicone cupcake liners, which were perfect for peeling out the cups, and they even look like Reese's cups with the brown liner!


Also, these are the opposite of your normal nut butter cups because the chocolate layer is on the inside. But they are perfect! I wouldn't want to change them a bit!



Well, hopefully this inspires some of you to create some delicious treats that are actually good for you, (in moderation)! Next on my list is this recipe for coconut popsicles: 







2 comments:

  1. Love your blog, Nina! I wish I had the courage to not buy processed foods, but I can say that I do. :) Still I try to do my best. Those chocolates look delicious.

    Are you making homemade baby food too? I did the icecube method and it worked great and saved a ton of money...those baby foods are expensive down here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks, Amy! Great to hear from you!! How are you and how is your family? I haven't seen super recent photos of the twins- I'm sure they are getting big! How is everyone down in Honduras? Is FS now at the new terreno? Send news! And please tell everyone hi for me!

      I can't say that I never eat processed foods- it's very difficult when you are at someone else's house, etc. But I am at least not buying them...it's a start. :)

      Actually, my son is not yet eating solids- he is only 5 months, but though I was initially going to make the baby food and freeze it, I am now leaning toward baby-led weaning/feeding, which is basically giving baby food from the adult meal that is soft and bite sized when baby shows interest and is sitting up, etc. I will probably post on here when I start the solids, so you'll get a report of how it goes. :) God bless you, Amy! Miss you!

      Delete