About Me

My photo
A Catholic stay-at-home wife and mother who is learning to value the beauty of homemaking by preparing meals from scratch with real food according to traditional principles, sewing/altering her own clothes, DIY decor projects, and reading books in her spare time, but most of all trying to be the virtuous woman from Proverbs 31.

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Book Review: A Mother's Rule of Life

I just finished reading this amazing book, 'A Mother's Rule of Life' by Holly Pierlot.

It has really inspired me regarding time management and work in the home, as well as the importance of routine for prayer, and all other things for that matter. For any woman going from having worked full-time to staying at home, this is a must! When I first stayed at home, while I was pregnant with my son, the days would fly by and I would notice that so much time had passed without my even acknowledging God or getting anything productive done. I would realize that I'd just spent half an hour or even an hour looking at facebook, blogs, or watching a show, and then I'd get distracted by something else and before I knew it, it was evening and I needed to start cooking dinner, which I would determine at the last minute.

When my son was born, of course I had plenty to do in order to care for him. Once I got the hang of that, there were times again where I would lose track of time (not nearly as much as before, but still I would take longer to do things such as get ready for the day because I was simultaneously checking email or some such thing.) 

After having been reminded several times of a book a friend had recommended years ago, I finally realized that maybe the Lord was calling me to read 'The Mother's Rule of Life'.  I read it excitedly and shared many passages with my sister-in-law, who is newly married and planning to stay at home. 

Some of my favorite things about this book is that it is very practical. The author goes into great detail regarding her Rule of Life, which helps me to insert my own details easily for my Rule of Life. She shares some stories from her life, making it interesting, as I love reading testimonies and personal sharing. 

Most of all, it has really inspired me to make the most of my day, keeping faithful to prayer times, as well as attending to duties in a timely manner, and keeping our Lord present by invoking Him in between each activity and offering the next one for love of Him. 

The author compares the married vocation to the religious and challenges us to strive for holiness as much as a religious would, as we are equally called to it. We may have many distractions in the world, such as babies crying and laundry to juggle, but if we order our lives so that things become so habitual that we don't need to think about them, we are able to contemplate God as we work. 

I've been very drawn to the writings of St. Josemaria Escriva and the message of Opus Dei lately and for good reason. It goes right along with the 'Mother's Rule of Life' because Opus Dei and St. Josemaria emphasize sanctity through our work. Today's Gospel reading at Mass was the one about Mary and Martha, and how Mary has chosen the better part, sitting at our Lord's feet, listening to Him. The reflection from 'In Conversation with God' for today refers to a 'unity of life' in which our work and prayer flow into each other and are not segregated into separate spheres.

 "For we must find God in our daily job, transforming our professional work into the hinge on which our calling to sanctity rests and turns...It is there in the midst of daily work and by means of it, not in spite of it, that God wants to call most Christians to lives of holiness. We are to sanctify the world and sanctify ourselves with a life of prayer that gives meaning to earthly tasks" (Francis Fernandez, 30.2, Volume Four). 

 "To maintain the presence of God while we work we need to resort to simple reminders, little things that will help us remember that our work is for God...All worldly occupations, when engaged in with the right intention, allow us the opportunity to put into practice charity, mortification, a spirit of service to others, joy and optimism, understanding and an apostolate of friendship and confidence.  We sanctify ourselves through our work. This is what really matters- to find Jesus in the midst of our daily concerns, not to forget about the Lord of all things" (Francis Fernandez, 30.3, Volume Four). 

Anyway, if you haven't already, read 'A Mother's Rule of Life', and check out your local Opus Dei Center for Evenings of Recollection and Retreats. If you wish to purchase 'A Mother's Rule of Life', use the widget here on my page to access my recommendations from the Amazon store. 


No comments:

Post a Comment