About Me

My photo
A Catholic stay-at-home wife and mother who is learning to value the beauty of homemaking by preparing meals from scratch with real food according to traditional principles, sewing/altering her own clothes, DIY decor projects, and reading books in her spare time, but most of all trying to be the virtuous woman from Proverbs 31.

Monday, January 13, 2014

A bookish birthday party (Peter Rabbit!)

I know I wrote that next I would post my reading plan for 2014 but I'll do that after this, because I was too excited to post the photos of my son's Peter Rabbit birthday party to wait. I had to do such a party because I love children's literature and naturally want my son to, as well. Also, since his birthday is a couple days after Christmas and he would be getting a lot of gifts for Christmas, I thought that doing a book theme would be good because he would get specific birthday gifts (books) versus the majority of toys for Christmas.


 I thought it turned out really well, despite feeling overwhelmed with the preparations the day before. (I prepared many of the foods and decorations at home but threw the party at my in-laws' so we had to transport everything there and make sure not to forget anything). I think I'll probably do it at my home next time despite the smaller space.

I found the ideas for the carrots as a central theme on pinterest, though going on there makes one quite a perfectionist about decor and DIY projects. Notice the little cups of carrots? They are dipped in hummus and there are coffee grounds underneath- it is supposed to be a carrot garden.


For the party favors, I was super excited to give each guest a couple books (one small Peter Rabbit and one small Winnie the Poo), plus a handmade bookmark! I was able to buy the books very cheaply at McKay's Used Bookstore. I love that place! I could stay in there for hours, scouring the shelves.


 I bought the Treasury of Peter Rabbit at McKay's also; was going to use it as a prize for possible games, but we didn't end up doing games as most of the guests were babies so I gave it to my sister-in-law.


 I so wanted to display some of my other favorite children's books- I was thinking of hanging them from a rope of some sort but had to dismiss that idea because the party was going to be at my in-laws and I don't think that would have gone well trying to hang a heavy book-laden rope from the ceiling. So sticking these pictures on the window had to do.



I loved this little cupcake kit I ordered with the figures from the different Beatrix Potter books, so I had to show it off. The cupcakes were, you guessed it, carrot cake!

Anyway, what kinds of parties have you all done for your children's birthdays? I would love to swap creative ideas for DIY projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment