About Me

My photo
A Catholic stay-at-home wife and mother who is learning to value the beauty of homemaking by preparing meals from scratch with real food according to traditional principles, sewing/altering her own clothes, DIY decor projects, and reading books in her spare time, but most of all trying to be the virtuous woman from Proverbs 31.

Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Little Gentleman

My sister-in-law just got married and since I was a bridesmaid, I wanted to have my son dressed in equally formal attire. So my friend Monica, who was also in the wedding and has a baby, and I made two bowties from the scraps of the bridesmaid dress:



We used this tutorial to do it: http://oneyounglove.com/2012/02/17/tiny-bow-ties-for-tiny-gentlemen-tutorial/

It was pretty simple and it took about an hour of actual work, I believe, though with us each nursing our sons and trying to keep them entertained, I think it was more like two hours total that we were at it.

Here's how they turned out:

Then, separately, we each worked on the attachment portion of the project. Monica did hers according to the tutorial (with two snaps on the back of the bow that would snap to a shirt), but I decided to attach the bow to a ribbon so that the shirt wouldn't have the snaps on it and could be used separately. I think it would have been better to use elastic rather than ribbon, but it worked out alright. 

Finally, we wore our matching dress and bowtie on the big day! 


No comments:

Post a Comment